**This is my most favorite apple pie recipe and I have made it every year for the past three years at Thanksgiving!! Has been a HUGE hit!
1 1/2lbs Granny Smith Apples (I usually buy 1/2 granny smith and 1/2 of the really light green apples for contrast) -- peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 cup Sugar (yes, two separate measurements!) -- I usually do 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup Flour
1tsp Cinnamon (I LOVE Starbucks Brand Cinnamon)
3/4 cup melted butter
1-2 Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crusts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Roll out your pie crust and place into pie plate (do not fold edges)
3. Toss peeled, cored and THINLY sliced apples with 1tbsp of sugar, and pour them into pie plate.
4. Thoroughly mix together 1 cup sugar (1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar) with the flour, cinnamon, butter and egg. This will create a thick textured filling, let sit at room temperature for about five minutes to smooth out a bit on its own.
5. Spread this mixture evenly over the top of your apples (do not worry about the bottom apples, it will melt and seep through during the baking process)
6. you have the option of just folding the edges and cooking as is or creating a top pie crust (which I normally do). We do the basket weave option because all other options have proven the apples do not bake evenly and the crust stays mushy. Basket weave is perfect and you can brush egg white onto the pie crust before baking to get that beautiful golden brown color! Once I have laid out the basket-weave pie crust, I then fold up the edges to secure the sides (so that the filling doesn't run out)
7. Bake in preheated oven until the apples have cooked and the topping is golden brown, about 40-45 minutes.
***Be prepared to have your house smell like heaven, your stomach growling to no end and many many thanks and smiles while it is eaten!!