February 19, 2011
Grilled Lemon and Herb Chicken with Mash
2lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes
3 Small Ripe Roma Tomatoes
1 Large Bunch - Fresh Basil
1 Small Bunch - Scallions
1 Medium - Fresh Red Chile
7oz Frozen Sweet Corn
2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
4 Boneless / Skinless Chicken Breast (thawed)
1 Pat Butter
Salt & Pepper
1. Put the water on to boil. Cut any large potatoes in half. Add a pinch of salt, and once boiling add the potatoes. Cook for 15 minutes until tender, meanwhile....
2. Roughly chop the tomatoes and basil leaves. Trim and finely slice the scallions. De seed and finely chop your Chile. Put all these ingredients into a mixing bowl.
3. Add a few lugs of olive oil and the red wine vinegar to the bowl and mix well. Have a taste and season with salt and pepper, then put to one side.
4. With a small knife, carefully score the underside of each chicken breast in a criss-cross fashion, then season with a little salt and pepper.
5. Lay your chicken, cut side down, next to each other on a cutting board and cover with plastic wrap. Bash the breasts with a heavy-bottom pan until they are 1/2 inch thick. (I used a meat tenderizer)
6. Get rid of the plastic wrap, then finely grate the zest of a lemon of the breasts and drizzle them with olive oil. Pick the thyme leaves and scatter these over too.
7. A few minutes before your potatoes are cooked, add the sweetcorn to the pan and simmer until cooked through.
8. Get a frying pan on medium heat, and once hot, add a splash of olive oil (1 tbsp).
9. Add the chicken breasts to the pan and cook for 3 minutes on each side until golden and cooked through.
10. When they're done, drain your potatoes and sweetcorn in a colander and leave to steam dry for a couple of minutes, then return to the hot pan. Add a pat of butter and season with salt and pepper.
11. Gently crush the potatoes with a potato masher, then pop the lid on so they stay warm.
12. Divide your mash between your plates, then top each portion with a lovely golden chicken breast. Squeeze over a little lemon juice.
13. Spoon a good dollop of your tomato relish over each breast and drizzle with a dash of extra virgin olive oil. (we skipped the extra olive oil part).
Looks like a lot of steps, but that is only because you are doing these at the same time. I followed each step, in order - and we had a VERY delicious meal! SOOO happy and very much worth the $4.99 I paid for the app. It comes with videos and sound bites to keep your attention, and under each step, lets you know the ingredients you will be using. Fool proof -- just the way I like it!!